Saturday, November 21, 2009

A Graphic Genesis?! Oh my.

I just listened to an audio news bit on BBC.com about the publication of a graphic illustrated book of Genesis; I found it disturbing.

The book is explicit and has an "adult supervision" label (which shouldn't really come as a shock to those who have read the Old Testament). Listening to the artist's comments from the audio bit, it was really apparent that he didn't have actual Christian intentions. He said something like "The thought that people actually took this stuff seriously for thousands of years...I find it so crazy."

He sounded like a complete idiot, but I will give him props for something.

The graphic novel will illuminate some truths about the book of Genesis that may be typically ignored. The Old Testament is incredibly violent--the text doesn't seek to hide anything--it's all kind of out there.

I find the Old Testament a bit hard to understand, and thusly, I enjoy discussion on the topic. I think the worst thing to do with information--especially scripture--is to just blindly accept it if you don't understand it. Granted, there are things we just can't wrap our finite human minds around, but we can always ask questions and seek truth.

St. Thomas Aquinas would support seeking the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment