Saturday, November 7, 2009

Delighting in our Curves and Kitchens.

Feminism. I am being bombarded with feminism.

Women have never been able to make their own decisions--we have always been oppressed. The worth of a woman has always been measured in her ability to attract a man's attention and her ability to have babies. Now we should fight back--instead of "history" we should call it "herstory." Marriage is imprisonment--having babies is to submit to a man's will. We should completely deconstruct the infrastructure of civilization to make the world a woman's world--instead of having our "own piece of the pie," we need to construct a whole new pie.

Well, I don't know about you, but I just got done baking a pie. And my roommate Allyse and I ate the whole thing, but not before cleaning the kitchen and preparing homemade dinners for ourselves for the next couple nights. And, I'm wearing an ankle-length skirt.

I delight in my femininity and rejoice in my maidenhood. I love to wear pretty dresses and long skirts that flutter and flow in the wind, and I love to pick flowers and go for walks and wear my hair long. And my favorite color is pink.

I turn now to the opinions of my roommates, which would perhaps boil the blood of any of the fire-and-brimstone feminists in my college classes:

"I love under-wire bras and tampons and scrubbing the floor (on my hands and knees) with my pink latex gloves," said Allyse, after gushing about wanting to have a baby.

"I love it when a man opens a door for me or offers to carry my books or my bags...it doesn't mean that I am not a strong woman--I just don't want feminism to kill chivalry and gentlemanliness," said Ember. Then jumping on the couch and thrusting a fist in the air, she added, "Chivalry lives!"

As for myself, I have made it a goal to live up to my female ancestors by learning the traditional domestic skills of cooking, cleaning, baking, and sewing. My goal is not to attract a husband, but rather to become a better person in general. I pride myself in being well rounded, as I am equally capable of breaking a cement slab with my bare hands and whipping a guy on the grappling mat as I am capable of whipping up a kick-butt goulash.

Eve might have been made out of Adam's rib, but Adam was made out of dirt.


I just want to add that my roommates and I love men. "Manly men," Allyse adds. The more like Paul Bunyan, the better. I believe men and women should be equals in the workplace (that's a no-brainer) but just as I rejoice in femininity, I also rejoice in the masculinity that God has blessed the earth with.

Beards. Hatchets. Flannel.

Deep, sexy voices.

The strength to throw me in a swing dancing move.

These are all precious things; I tip my hat to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment