Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Endless Contemplation of Death

Every now and then I am shaken from the illusion that life is perpetual, and am reminded that someday, I will die. Death is a difficult concept to grasp as nobody alive has experienced it; it can only be speculated at with an air of abstraction. But the fact remains that each and every one of us will eventually come to a point where we will experience it--and we will experience it alone.

Today I visited a funeral home, a mortuary. It was the brother of my sister's friend who passed away at the age of 31, leaving behind his wife and two young daughters. Nobody would have predicted that the seemingly healthy man would have a heart attack and pass away within minutes. The visitation was spinning with friends and family--some who were chatting and laughing at memories, others who were crippled with grief. I would imagine each took their turn at these extremes and in between.

The silent body in the adorned corner, of course, was the source of the poignant gathering. Being in the presence of such a man, without ever meeting him in life, was moving in a way I can not explain. I thanked God for the man's life and mourned for the little girls who won't remember their father. Tucked up next to the body inside of the casket was a piece of paper with blue crayon writing. "I love you Daddy!"

I am sorry for the family.

Tonight I am honoring the mortality of man, and appreciating the life that I have. There is no guarantee that any of us will live long lives. When it is time for me to take the hand of God and leave my family behind, I hope that I will be satisfied with the life that I had the chance to live.

1 comment:

  1. This morning I realized that even if you don't believe in fate or destiny you have no choice but to recognize that there is finite number of breaths you are going to take before you die.

    ReplyDelete