Saturday, September 5, 2009

Transience

I have always heard it said that people come into your life for a reason. They may be part of your life for many years, or perhaps only one year, or even a month. It might be a day. An hour.

Those relationships can not be taken for granted. I had somebody in my life who I thought would be around for a very long time, but our relationship ended abruptly. An experience that leaves me shaking.

If I could go back, I would have enjoyed every moment with more depth and feeling, knowing that this is not how it will always be. I have found it to be the same with familial relationships. The time I get to spend with my Dad is precious and will not always be the way it is now. My nine year old brother is growing up fast, and I don't want to miss it. I want to embrace what I have, when I have it, and to recognize the beauty inherent in these things so as to not merely recognize it in retrospect.

No comments:

Post a Comment