Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tonight, I am sad.

Four of my friends (who are roommates) were robbed today. I don't really know what to do or think. They had thousands of dollars worth of stuff taken: laptops, iPods, phones...Whoever it was broke in through a window and completely decimated the bedrooms. Clothes strewn about...everything torn up. One of the girls even had her make-up taken. This incident goes deeper, though, because there are thoughts that one of the girl's identity's could be stolen, as she had some important documents out--including social security. Why would anybody do this? I just don't understand how a human being could so intentionally screw over another. What is it that makes people so heartless? I don't understand how somebody could damage another person like that.
People have been like that for all of human history. The ancient Romans were particularly vicious. For entertainment, the Romans liked to watch barbarians fight each other to the death. They would also congregate in a stadium at mid-day to watch the execution of Christians and criminals--to watch starving lions attack the defenseless people, and rip their bodies to shreds. Sometimes the blood-thirsty Emperor would take people out of the audience and through them into the arena with the beasts.
Just today I was asking myself if our world was very different from the ancient world, and then my friends were robbed. Certainly, they were not fed to lions or even physically harmed, but in essence, it is still a human being intentionally inflicting evil upon another and reveling in their heightened position because of it. It makes me sick. It is absolutely horrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment