Monday, January 17, 2011

Self-Indulgent Reflection

I was having one of those moments where life was just a tad too much for me to deal with. I really needed a cigarette, but as I groped around my coat pockets, I remembered that I didn't smoke and smoking was bad for me anyways.

What I really needed was an expensive cup of chocolate coffee with espresso and whip cream. I emptied my purse and collected every penny and totally had a "Taylor the Latte Boy" moment at the coffee shop, which left me a little dazed, awkward, and reminiscent of middle school. He gave me a double for whatever amount of money I had cupped in my hand because I told him it was all I had to my name and I could really use a "Big Cup of Christmas" (which was one of the winter specials at this particular coffee franchise.)

I walked back out into the bitter--bitter cold weather and as I pressed my lips against the rich sweetness of frothy milk and warm chocolate syrup, I remembered that there is a God and that sometimes, rainbows appear in the sky. "Life is beautiful" is what I said, I believe, a little bit too audibly, to the chagrin and general confusion of fellow pedestrians. (I have to remember to stop talking to myself; or at least to put my cellphone up to my ear and pretend I'm talking to someone; or else save it for when I'm driving in my car or in my room when my roommates aren't home or in the shower or when I'm blow-drying my hair, or in a pasture of daisies and wild horses--which has never actually happened but I wish it will.)

Anyway, that's the end of my story. Now I'm at work and I should be doing something of use, but my boss is on facebook so I thought I could afford a moment of self-indulgent reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment