Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Secret for Memorizing Lines

My fan base has importuned me long enough. I shall reveal it--but to you, only, who are my most dear and adoring fans of the blogish realm.

I have practically memorized my 13 pages of lines without allotting it specific time, and that was done with a careful observation to all of the time I waste staring into space.

I have put my time to better use...
1. While I'm staring at my alarm clock in the morning, trying to remember what day it is.
2. While I'm brushing my teeth and washing my face.
3. While I'm showering.
4. While I'm stirring my oatmeal
5. While I'm blow drying my hair and putting on make-up

I have intelligently delineated my morning routine and have turned it into a rehearsal.

It is effective in varying amounts, but I persist nevertheless.

Of course, I could only fit 4 lines on my alarm clock (so as to not block the time) and I had to laminate the pages that go in the shower. I've always found doing lines and blow drying my hair at the same time to be difficult--that is, until I discovered that a simple piece of scotch tape would hold the sheet of paper to the wall right next to the mirror.

If you open up the right most section of my bathroom mirror, you will see page two and three of my script. This works really well, except I've discovered that brushing teeth and articulating can be treacherous: flying specks of toothpaste may flit in an eye or two, and there is always the chance of choking on the toothbrush. I have come close a couple of times, but it's all in the name of art, and art is no good without pain/risk and/or stinging eyes.

Though it is an echoing and rather splashy environment, the shower is positively a joyous place to memorize lines. Only, I would recommend informing your roommates if you are going to try it, because they might think you're talking to somebody in the shower in which case they may become jealous of your casual intimacy with other people who you don't even live with and if you can eat their cereal and occasionally sneak some of their ice cream, your roommates might wonder why you don't bother to get to know them better--let alone share a breakfast conversation with them if you make time for other people when you're in the shower. (To avoid all of this, simply inform the roommates that you are merely talking to yourself, and you, as a theatre major, are exempt from all conventional definitions of sanity).

The hardest time to memorize lines is while putting on eye liner. It doesn't work, so don't try it. Just...don't. Lathering facial lotion and foundation works moderately well, but memorizing while stirring oatmeal is 65% more effective. I simply need to open up the cabinet to my left and lo and behold! Page 7 and 8 of my script!


In this fashion, I have memorized my lines in short little intervals. I'd say it was moderately successful, but here are the down falls.

1.I memorized my lines a bit out of order
2. My roommates have read the sections of the play I've taped up, and now they know what happens.
3. Condensing my time in this method (and not allowing time for my own thoughts) has made me go slightly insane. Of course, one must weigh the pros and cons of such things. Sacrificing sanity is not the right choice for everybody, but if you're an actor, it might get you places.

So there you go. I hope you enjoyed hearing of my secret line-memorizing methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment