Monday, November 8, 2010

If I had the head of a hawk and the body of Cher...

You'd better watch out, Cleopatra.

I'm going to steal your kingdom. I'll rid Egypt of your tyrannical grin and set myself, instead, upon your throne, draped in scented fabrics and ornamented with gold and jewels. I'll trifle not with make-up. Rather I'll bare my naked face before all of Africa and before all of Rome and before all of Caesars. Eat your heart out, for my flesh is as pure and beautiful as the forbidden fruit of the garden.

In luxury, I'll suck the sweetness of the Cyprus plant and lie a while on top of the flooding Nile, spreading its glossy likeness of the sky across fertile fields. I'll bring the harvest from my bath, my breathing body a sacrifice to the gods of the pyramids--for they please so easily. Drink up, Horus, the hours of my legendary leisure. This isn't Isis, nor Ra, or Osiris. Eternity only lasts so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment